Research at the DFELL
- "Applications of Free-Electron Lasers in the Biological and Material Sciences," G.S. Edwards, S.J. Allen, R.F. Haglund, R.J. Nemanich, B. Redlich, J.D. Simon and W.-C. Yang, Photochemistry and Photobiology, 81:711-735 (2005).
- "Free-electron-laser-based biophysical and biomedical instrumentation," G.S. Edwards, et al, Review of Scientific Instruments 74, 3207 (2003).
- "The HIGS Facility: A Free-Electron Laser Generated Gamma-Ray Beam for Research in Nuclear Physics," H.R. Weller, and M.W. Ahmed, Modern Physics Letters A 18, 1569 (2003).
- "Emergent properties during dorsal closure in Drosophila morphogenesis," X G Peralta, Y Toyama, D P Kiehart and G S Edwards, Phys. Biol. 5 015004 (2008).
- "Pressure (mechanical) effects in infrared tissue ablation," Glenn Edwards, Wolfgang Wagner, Adam Sokolow and Robert Pearlstein, (2008).
- "6450 nm wavelength tissue ablation using a nanosecond laser based on difference frequency mixing and stimulated Raman scattering," G.S. Edwards, R.D. Pearlstein, M.L. Copeland, M.S. Hutson, K. Latone, A. Spiro and G. Pasmanik, Optics Letters 32, 11 (2007).
- "Upregulation of Forces and Morphogenic Asymmetries in Dorsal Closure during Drosophila Development," X.G. Peralta, Y. Toyama, M.S. Hutson, R. Montague, S. Venakides, D.P. Kiehart and G.S. Edwards, Biophysical Journal 92, 2583 (2007).
- "From the Cover: The Surface Oxidation Potential of Human Neuromelanin Reveals a Spherical Architecture with a Phenomelanin Core and a Eumelanin Surface," W.D. Bush, J. Garguilo, F. A. Zucca, A. Albertini, L. Zecca, G. S. Edwards, R.J. Nemanich and J.D. Simon, PNAS 103, 14785 (2006).
- "Photoionization Threshold of Eumelanosomes Determined Using UV Free Electron Laser-Photoelectron Emission Microscopy," A. Samokhvalov, J. Garguilo, W.-C. Yang, G.S. Edwards, R.J. Nemanich, and J.D. Simon, J. Phys. Chem. B 108, 16334 (2004).
- "Forces for morphogenesis investigated with laser-microsurgery and quantitative modeling," M.S. Hutson, Y. Tokutake, M.S. Chang, J.W. Bloor, S. Venakides, D.P. Kiehart, and G.S. Edwards. Science 300, 145-149 (2003). See also "May the Force Be with You" by Paul Martin and Susan M. Parkhurst.
- "Thermal Diffusion and Chemical Kinetics in Laminar Biomaterial Due to Heating by a Free-Electron Laser," M.S. Hutson, S.A. Hauger, and G. Edwards. Physical Review E 65, 061906 (2002).
Inverse Compton back-scattering of FEL photons in the storage ring can generate an intense semi-monochromatic polarized gamma-ray beam. These are being used for nuclear physics experiments. Additional information can be found on the HIGS website.
- "Parity Measurements of Nuclear Levels Using a Free-Electron-Laser Generated Gamma-Ray Beam," N. Pietralla et al, Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 012502 (2002).
A photo electron emission microscope (PEEM) produces images of a solid surface using photo excited electrons. The intensity of tunable monochromatic photons in the 4-7 eV energy range produced by the UV FEL allows us to operate near the photoemission threshold of any metal.
- "Polarization-dependent electron affinity of LiNbO3 surfaces," W-C. Yang, B.J. Rodriguez, A. Gruverman, R.J. Nemanich, Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, 2316-2318 (2004).
- "Photo-electron emission microscopy observation of inversion domain boundaries of GaN-based lateral polarity heterostructures," W-C. Yang, B.J. Rodriguez, M. Park, R.J. Nemanich, O. Ambacher, V. Cimalla, J. Appl. Phys. 94, 5720-5725 (2003).
- "Attractive migration and coalescence: A significant process in the coarsening of TiSi2 islands on the Si(111) surface," W.-C. Yang, M Zeman, H Ade, R.J. Nemanich, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 136102 (2003).
- "A Free Electron Laser - Photoemission Electron Microscope System (FEL-PEEM)," H. Ade, W. Yang, S.L. English, J. Hartman, R.F. Davis, and R.J. Nemanich, Surf. Rev. Lett. 5, 1257-1268 (1998).
Accelerator Physics and FEL Lightsource Development
The DFELL has a linac based infrared FEL, and a storage ring based ultraviolet FEL. Gamma rays also are produced using the storage ring FEL via Compton scattering.
- "High-Gain Lasing and Polarization Switch with a Distributed Optical-Klystron Free-Electron Laser," Y.K. Wu, N.A. Vinokurov, S. Mikhailov, J. Li and V. Popov, Physical Review Letters 96, 224801 (2006).
- "Anomalous Hollow Electron Beams in a Storage Ring," Y. K. Wu, J. Li, J. Wu, Physical Review Letters 94, 134802, April, 2005.
- "Explicit symplectic integrator for s-dependent static magnetic field," Y. K. Wu, E. Forest, and D. S. Robin, Physical Review E 68, 046502 (2003).
- "Measuring and optimizing the momentum aperture in a particle accelerator," C. Steier, D. Robin, L. Nadolski, W. Decking, Y. Wu, and J. Laskar, Physical Review E 65, 056506 (2002).
- "Gamma-Ray Production in a Storage Ring FEL," V.L. Litvinenko et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 4569 (1997).